Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ain't that some shit

Capital Open Sectionals was postponed this weekend due to heavy rain Friday night that apparently put the polo fields in Poolesville in jeopardy. Sucks. Floodwall wound up organizing a fairly productive four team get together in Fredricksburg (O and D line, UVA rookie Sectional team, and Woodside HS [actually mostly alumn]).

In lieu of a write-up, I'll just comment on the Sectionals results around the country that have caught my eye.

Back in Washington, Sockeye beat Furious 15-10 to take the Section. One funny side note is that my brother texted me immediately after their game against Sockeye to tell me that he had scored one of their three points. His man was poached off of him and he caught a hammer, but I thought it was pretty cool nonetheless. Anyway, given that this Section and its respective region (Northwest) seem to always be a toss up between the top teams, I wouldn't read too much into things. I'm willing to guess that Sockeye had an easier time playing Furious than they did with Furious+, but with the loss of Chase, both Seths, and Sam O'Brien, maybe each team's subtractions since Worlds will turn out to be a wash. With the addition of Oregon and Northern Cal, the Northwest Region should provide a pretty exciting tournament.

That brings me to the Northern California Section, where Jam took care of Revolver 15-10 as well. With both the MSSUI article covering them and having gotten a chance to watch Revolver first hand at Solstice, I was curious to see who would win that one. They're a pretty high energy team that seemed to rely a lot of having fresher legs and working harder than their opponents. All I really know about Jam is that they are really experienced playing with each other and are purported to move the disc pretty quickly (Plinko?). Jam wins this round, but like before there will more to come in two weeks. YR seems to have done alright, losing only to the higher seeds, but it's too bad there's no score on their game against Revolver.

Another team I had my eye on was Guillermo Y Compania at East Coast Mixed Sectionals. Since, Tyler and Robert played with them all summer and Brooklyn's continuing to do so, I was rooting for Guiller. They did alright, taking 4th in a pretty tough Mixed section, but I know that the expectations before the roster purge were, justifiably, much higher. It's worth noting that they did beat the champions, Bucket, which has me thinking that a trip to Nationals isn't out of the question for the remaining members of this team.

That about does it. Sectionals is now in two weeks, with Regionals the week after. Yesterday has me feeling even more optimistic about Floodwall's chances, as the D line really put together some quality possessions after turnovers and the O line seemed to value the disc more as the day went on. Along with writing about how things go, I'm hoping to get into some stuff of actual substance in the near future, so stay tuned.

GM

No comments: